knit twisted

where the cats in my head unwind the thread of my thoughts around the legs of the furniture.

Saturday, October 06, 2007

a few things

I took my socks downtown and dropped them off at the fair, tuesday. :) I hope they have a happy trip, it'd be a good self-esteem boost. never done anything like that before, submitted my stuff for public scrutiny. well.. except for once when I was in high school, I put a print in an art show. not really of my own volition, more a coerced into it thing. it got 2nd place though. 10 bucks. :) it musta been 1972. maybe it was time to do it again. :)

I don't know how likely it is that they'll be successful, I think they're probably my best socks ever, which is sort of sad really, because I've thought that since they were finished in.. march or april, and they've been sitting around unworn since then, because when I finished them I said "these are my fair socks!" and never wavered from that certainty. they had to be entered in the "any other knitting not listed" category, which is kinda broad.. but perhaps because it is kinda broad there'll be lots of ribbons. :) no sock category for knitting at the SC state fair. 8 categories for knitted afghans.. go figure. I've been afraid to see how many categories there are for crocheted ones.

still, I'm glad the socks went to fair because I will definitely go visit them.. I've missed fair the last 2 years, it's more fun if you go with more people than just the two of us and last year we intended to go, but the nights ted didn't have to work too late were rainy. I don't remember why we didn't go the year before. I was hoping my sister was coming down for fair this year, she did once before but it doesn't look like that's going to work out. I expect if I put some effort into it I can convince erin and alfred to go with us.. see.. it's funner if people go because then there's someone to ride the tilt-a-whirl with me. ted swears he'll ride it with me but he *hates* the tilt-a-whirl and you'd think by now.. we're celebrating our 28th anniversary this month.. he'd understand that while I appreciate the sacrifice he's willing to make, there's no fun in riding the funnest ride in the world with someone who is miserable! erin and mary sue both love it as much as me, so.. I prefer to go with one or the other of 'em. I'm not a huge carnival ride kinda gal but I do seriously have a life-long love affair goin' with the tilt-a-whirl.

going to visit my socks and getting some of the best fried mushrooms in the world will be enough to get me there this year, one way or another, even if I have to go by myself. :) I love fair.. but it was definitely more fun when we had little kids to go with us.

ok.. so I went to the fairgrounds, circumnavigated them 3 times before I figured out where to go to drop off my socks. dropped off my socks. then I went to visit the new-to-me yarn shop downtownish. had a bit of a driving adventure locating it too, but did eventually, and had a nice visit... bought a skein of sock yarn and another ball of the knit one crochet too ty-dy, figuring 2 balls was more useful than 1 (I had bought the one at half-price closeout a while back.. today I found something to do with them and believe I need 2 more balls so.. I have an excuse to go back again! unless I can stalk the yarn on sale somewhere else before the end of fair.. I really liked half price better..).

then I went to earth fare and got a few can't get out this way groceries, including a sack of.. pea chips. actually, pea-doodles is probably more accurate. pea snacks.. shaped like pea pods, crunchy like snacks. very tasty, I need to go back there sometime and get more of those too.

then I got completely lost on my way home, I still don't know how I managed to totally miss the main drag through downtown, but eventually I came to somewhere I knew how to get home from, so.. home I came, on a whole different interstate highway than I had intended.

that was the most exciting part of my week outside the house.

inside the house, I believe I am going to finish aidan's sweater tomorrow.. I've started the shoulders so.. all that's left is finishing them and doing the neck and grafting the armpits. the sweater has been consuming almost all of my knitting time for the last week and a couple, and I will be glad to get it finished.. excited to get it finished! my first adult sweater! and get back to the socks for a bit.. I'm going to force myself to finish at least one pair before I start bryce's tomten.

that 6 skeins of peace fleece I swapped some sock yarn for, to make bryce (he'll be 3 in january) a tomten jacket? If I don't get aidan's hybrid finished with 3 of those skeins, I'll only be yards short.. once I finish the tomten, I'm going to be lookin' for something to use up another 700 yards or so of this stuff. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Penny said...

I thought about entering my bunny this year, but I don't know how I feel about people looking at my work. I am still not comforable with my end weaving or tension... But go on with your "bad self" for entering! One of my other blog buddies won for her socks, maybe the luck will pass to you! I can't wait for the fair though! I am just dying to go! We got to the football game and then the fair. This year I think we are going to have Troy's oldest kids with us! Hopefully they won't drink before the game so there is a lot of ride riding for us!

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home