knit twisted

where the cats in my head unwind the thread of my thoughts around the legs of the furniture.

Friday, October 19, 2007

many things

socks at fair

here are my socks at the fair. :-D

Monday.. I think it was monday, it might have been tuesday.. I think it was tuesday, actually.. I went over to lexington and checked out a new-to-me yarn shop, The Needler. they cater to the needlepoint/cross stitch crowd as well, and don't have a vast selection of yarn, but there were a lot of things I'd never seen in person. I came home with this:

zitron lifestyle

zitron life style. it's 100% merino superwash and sport weight, I guess. I got two balls, they will turn in to socks, I expect.. although it's possible they'll turn into a baby surprise jacket instead. I also got two balls of yarn for my knitty charlie brown, but I can't show you those, they're secret. :)

tuesday the mailman brought me some yarny goodness too.. this

fancy image ducks

from fancy image , sport weight merino superwash in the oregon ducks colorway. 2 skeins, it's going to be socks for my soon-to-be brother in law, who is an oregon duck, and perhaps a pair for my sister as well, oregon duck colors are, conveniently also william and mary colors so maybe I'll make the newlyweds matching socks. Or maybe the other skein will be a hat and socks for his new grandson. :)

yesterday the mailman brought me two packages of yarny goodness. this

mountain colors bearfoot

mountain colors bearfoot from the knitter, ruby river colorway. this was an emergency order because I determined I was not going to have enough yarn to finish the anniversary socks (and the anniversary is tomorrow).. and this

yarn pirate merino tencel

yarn pirate merino/tencel in butternut color. I've been hearing about yarn pirate for yonks, never seen any in person and I do love me some merino/tencel, but it's hard to find at a price I'll pay, too.. so when I found a gal on ravelry destashing this, for a reasonable price that included shipping, I said yes please, send that to me. and she did. the last (first) time I got my hands on some merino/tencel, it did not become socks for *me*. I am hoping this batch will. :)

today I finished the anniversary socks.

anniversary socks

they are finished. they are not dry. :) they are "earl grey" pattern from the yarn harlot, in mountain colors bearfoot, wilderness color. at least.. in wilderness color until I ran out (not quite) of wilderness color, when they became ruby river color. Thank you again, judy at the knitter! (if you visit judy, tell her anno sent you. :)). ted's been wanting me to make him christmas socks since I started knitting socks, and it's hard to find christmassy yarn a man will wear to work with a tie.. I decided this would do the job, and.. I think it does.. some day I'll make him some seriously christmassy ones, but.. these will do for the time being and they'll work year round and match.. or at least go with.. pretty much anything he happens to put on. :) tomorrow is our (28th.. wow :) ) anniversary, and.. I hope he likes 'em. :)

I saved the funnest part for last, and I'm going to start with a short ramble..

for months and months now, since I first saw them, I have been seriously lusting after a momma monkey sock bag. more than anything, really. love those bags. I look at 'em at least once a week. over the weekend I signed up for this halloweenie great pumpkin swap and monday while I was rummaging around to see what I had suitable to put in the box for my charlie brown, I came across this thing..

sock bag

came in the giant sack of useless stuff I ordered from archie mcphee last year.. great source of stocking stuffers for the teens and 20somethings.. this particular thing was too cool for any of them, so I kept it.. and apparently hid it from myself too. it's so cool.. can you tell that it's made of that defraction stuff (firefox tells me defraction is not a word.. anyone know what word it is that I'm looking for?) that makes it so those gals actually hula and those trees wave in the breeze. it is.. seriously cool.. and it occurred to me that it was the perfect size for a sock bag.. so, my lust for a momma monkey sock bag has been assuaged a bit.

for the longest time, another thing I keep looking at and craving and never buying for myself is good-n-plenty colored sock yarn. I admire it every time I visit a yarn dyer and see they have some of this sort of pink/black/white colorway. never buy it (it's never on sale!), always admire it.. always want it.

today my halloweenie box came in the mail, and it came from momma monkey. :-D and I thought oh wow, wouldn't karma be laughing at me if there was a sock bag in there.. but I was sorta excited too, because it's not like I *ever* only have one sock goin', so of course I might even *need* two sock bags. :)

so, I opened that box up.. and really, karma is havin' a laugh at me anyway.. lookie!

halloweenie!!

is that not a wonderful suprise to get in the mail? there's a giant box of chocolate covered macadamias (I think I'm gonna give those to ted tomorrow with his socks.. he loves macadamias), and a smaller chocolate covered macadamia toffee (that's mine. sorry, ted..) and 2 packs of halloween treat rice cracker snacks.. too cute. you're not going to find those in south carolina.. and 3 tea bags.. passion fruit tea.. sounds tasty! and a halloween pencil and stickers treat, and a halloween cup, and 4 halloween erasers, and a cute hawaii flip flop keychain *and*..

look closer..

halloweenie :-D

There's a momma monkey needle case! I did not have a needle case. I had not gotten around to lusting after a needle case yet, because I hadn't been browsing since I assuaged my sock bag lust, but I can promise you it was going to be next on my list. :) It's so cool.. I've already stuffed some needles in it.. I had to unstuff it, to take it's picture.. then I stuffed it back. :) *and*..

hahaha.. now I've gone from never seeing/petting much less having any yarn pirate yarn to having 2 skeins in 2 days.. merino this time.. in "pretty pirate" colorway but if I had named this yarn, I woulda named it good-n-plenty.

this is just the coolest box! I'm so excited. this yarn is definitely going to be socks for *me*. I can't wait til I get another big chunk of the christmas knitting done so I can reward myself with a pair of *for me* socks. :)

tomorrow while my pal carrie is braving the crowds to go to the football game and then go to the fair to visit my socks :-D, I think I'm going to go over to lexington for a knit-in, if I can psych myself up for inserting myself into a group of strangers that know each other.. I'm workin' on it, I'm pretty sure I'll have fun.


oh.. aidan's sweater..

sweater, nearly done

nearly done. it's been sitting there like that for days now.. there's something just a smidge wonky on the back side where I grafted the bits together and I don't want to undo and fix, but at the same time I can't make myself finish it until I do so it's just sitting there.. the anniversary socks took priority.. I'll have to deal with it soon.

*edited to add: oh. hehe.. I did not mean to imply that aidan's sweater has been sitting out on the front steps for days. it is safely in the house, sitting. over there. in case anyone was concerned. :)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you did get spoiled! You'll have to post pictures of whatever you knit with that awesome yarn!

ccknits from knittyboard

5:02 PM  
Blogger Carrie Penny said...

WOW! Really, that is all I can say! Great socks, Stunning yarns and you got the pants spoiled off of yourself! WOW! Yeah, Troy just asked me if he really has to go and look at socks w/ me... it was so funny! I can't wait, I know I will be pooped at the end of the day, but it will rock! The sweater is beautiful by the way!

5:39 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

What a fabulous package momma monkey sent you!! She is fabulous! Loving the yarn pirate and matching needle case!!

And the sweater is absolutely gorgeous!!

6:52 PM  
Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

Great haul!

Gigi is wonderful and yes, she rocks -all her handmade goods reperfect and you areso lucky to have had her as your weenie :)

(I have the Inked Monkey bag in the same pink & black)

1:24 AM  
Blogger Patti Shreiner said...

Cool stash enhancement week for you! Now I'll have to check out the Momma Monkey supplies too. I was a bit worried about that lovely sweater left to fend for itself on the front steps. Glad to learn that it's been shephereded inside.

QuiltBeadKnit from Ravelry

10:38 AM  
Blogger Carrie Penny said...

I just wanted to stop by and wish you a very Merry Christmas! I hope that you have been well, you haven't posted in a while!

8:42 AM  
Blogger joco said...

Was it 'moire' you were looking for? 'watered silk', sounds a bit wet.

I remember a word 'changeant', but can't find it in the dictionary.

4:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a model in 3d Lcd Tv set Or three-dimensional Plasma Tv on
pc. Which Is more preferable?

Feel free to surf to my web-site - epson powerlite home cinema 3010 price

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home