knit twisted

where the cats in my head unwind the thread of my thoughts around the legs of the furniture.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

big doin's..

my sister called this afternoon to announce her engagement. :)

this is kinda exciting and a little weird at the same time, she was married before, lost her first husband a couple weeks after their 25th wedding anniversary, last july. july '05, and she met this man a little over a year ago and says she's spent a year tryin' to find something wrong with him and hasn't managed to do it so this seems like the right thing to so. :) I'm happy for her. I don't know the man well, only met him at thanksgiving but he seems nice enough, he's got the most adorable granddaughter :) and he managed to withstand the stress of thanksgiving.. which was plenty stressful.. and stay in good humor so.. I need to spend more time with him but she likes him and that's good enough for me.

going to be a busy year though, her younger son is graduating college in may, her older one is getting married in june, her future husband is going to be a grandfather again in september and sometime after that they're gonna get married..

it's that baby I just snuck in there that has me writing about this here though.. a baby! to knit for!!

what should I knit for this baby? a blanket maybe? I might be good enough at knitting now that I could knit a blanket that had almost straight edges.. socks? maybe a hat? bibs.. I think I saw some really cute bibs somewhere.. a blanket, maybe? what? suggestions please.. something cool.. I don't want to knit a traditional yellow or mint green layette, pram jacket bonnet and booties thing.. something jazzy/funky/genderless.. whatever happened to knitpicks simple stripes yarn? I never saw that one go on sale.. how'd I miss that?? shoot. self-patterning sock yarn would make a nice sturdy holds up in the wash warm jazzy baby sweater.. and the price of that was right..

what should I knit for this baby? I've tried knitting for babies before.. in 1981 I attempted to knit a hat and sweater set for my first nephew.. he got the hat. I finished the sweater.. which was supposed to be a checkerboard thing but wound up stripes because I couldn't do checkerboard.. for the second nephew in 1984. I started knitting a blanket for a baby that's going to be 13 in june, but never finished that.. (I did crochet that first nephew a blanket though..and finished it on time. :)). I think I'm determined enough and addicted enough and adept enough to make something for this baby, though..

what should I make? :-D

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Penny said...

The "One Skein" book has a perfect (and easy)pattern for a baby bolero maybe next year we will have Winter...Hats are always great! My cousin said he and his wife didn't get enough at the shower, so I need to start knitting now to get them done before the end of the next month...

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is late but I found you through a post on knitty... with all the great socks you've knit, certainly you have some little bits of left over. May I suggest socks, knit just like "big people" socks. Do a ribbed cuff & instep (to hug the foot). I have had good luck with 40 sts around on a size 1 needle; cuff & foot as long as my forefinger. These fit newborns well and work up quickly.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home